Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Feed the Maccabee

The Maccabees are the heroes of the Hanukka story. They were strong, brave, and bold. They fought Antiochus and his soldiers and chased them away. Did they eat latkes to celebrate this glorious event?
Well, in my classroom we feed the Maccabee latkes. I found a Maccabee picture in one of the coloring books, and enlarged it when I copied it. I taped it on a box and cut a hole in its mouth. I have been collecting playdo container tops. So we pretend they are colorful latkes and feed them to the Maccabee. The children love this game. We sometimes try throwing the latkes in the Maccabee's mouth and count them in Hebrew at the same time.





Here are two songs that go with the theme today.

Tune:Are you sleeping?
Potato latkes, potato latkes.
They are so good, they are so good.
I could eat a million.
I could eat a billion.
Yum, yum, yum.
Yum, yum, yum.

Here is another one, but the tune is unknown.

I want to be a Maccabee,
So brave, so stong, so bold.
And chase away the enemy,
But I'm only two (or three, or four) years old.

This song is very cute when the children sing it in front of their parents.
Happy Hanukkah!


1 comment: